Why Remember?

The reason behind this blog is for us to write down, for all to see, what the Lord has done for us. By recalling and testifying of His goodness and answered pray, we open up the way for more of His blessings.
Please comment and share your stories and testimonies in response to what you read.

Monday, February 23, 2009

Unscathed

"Mom, look at him! This can't be the flu!" My daughter, Kelly, had run next door to my house with my 9 month-old grandson, Ben, laying lethargic in her arms. Fear gripped me as I tried to talk to him, but he didn't seem to recognize me. His arms, legs and face were swollen to the point of being unrecognizable as my sweet baby Ben.

It had started out as flu-like symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) three days earlier. My daughter had taken him to his pediatrician and his holistic chiropractor. They both thought it was the flu and told her to keep a close watch on him in case there were any changes.

I tried to keep myself together to help my frightened daughter, but I knew from looking at him that this was something serious. We immediately called Ben's pediatrician and rushed him to an emergency care clinic. There, after the blood work they took, they told us that this was something life-threatning, he was in renal failure, and called for an ambulance to Children's Hospital. I couldn't believe this was happening to my family, to baby Ben, who was so loved. As I held my vomiting grandson, now unresponsive in my arms, an almost overwhelming feeling of dread clutched at my heart .

We had already called everyone we could think of to start praying when the screaming sirens stopped in front of the emergency care clinic. The paramedics, hoping his little heart wouldn't quit before they could get him to Children's, immediately began attaching Ben to a heart monitor.

As they were loading Ben and Kelly in the ambulance for the trip to Children's, Geoff, Kelly's husband arrived. I wanted so badly to go with Geoff and Kelly, but Ben's 3 brothers needed me to take care of them. Driving home to Larry (my husband) and the boys, I began begging God to spare his life, tears pouring down my face. At the moment that plea came out of my mouth, I understood that I may never see my grandson alive again. Somehow, through my sobs, I heard God speak. In his loving way He reminded me that Ben was His, always, not ours. He assured me that whether Ben lived or died, it was all okay. Suddenly, a peace that passed all understanding flowed through me that replaced the terror and grief I had been overcome with the moment before.

At the hospital, the news was not good. Ben was in a shock similar to meningitis, from a strain of e-coli . He had HUS (basically his kidneys had shut down). We didn't know if he would survive and if he did what damage would remain. For days he didn't recognize or respond to anyone. To see our little 9 month old Ben in intensive care, with tubes coming out of him, was almost too much to handle. The next few weeks brought 3 surgeries, dialysis and then weeks on the kidney floor. Even so, friends were amazed, as we were, at the quiet peace we all maintained. There was no other explanation than the Holy Spirit of God who had visited us with His peace.

The long days of waiting and wondering finally came to an end, Ben came out of the ordeal almost unscathed and completely healed! He is now 4 years old and busy, healthy and a handful. In other words, normal! Praise God! We are grateful and thank God every day for His gift of healing.

The provision that God blessed us with during that frightening time, was what amazed me the most. Not only the provision of His wonderful peace, but our everyday needs as well. He provided money, food and so many wonderful people who loved on us. Nothing was too small for him to take care of. I knew that God could and does heal, even in hopeless situations, but the seemingly insignificant things He took care of, with the realization of how much he loves us compelled me to my knees in praise and thanksgiving.
Surrounded and covered with his love, peace and presence, I realized that there is no situation, no illness, no pain that God cannot conquer! Praise be His Name!

Psalms 30:2
O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me
.

Phil. 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

R.G. Ryan said...

Pam, I caught up on all your postings this morning - these are really good! Keep it up.
Cheri