Why Remember?

The reason behind this blog is for us to write down, for all to see, what the Lord has done for us. By recalling and testifying of His goodness and answered pray, we open up the way for more of His blessings.
Please comment and share your stories and testimonies in response to what you read.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sometimes I Forget

This is a testimony from my son, Tyler, written at the end of September 2008:

I sometimes forget how much God has brought me through in this last year, so I will write it down to go back to and to bless anyone who reads it. Feel free to give this to whomever you wish.
Last year (2007) around the end of June I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Talk about bad news; not only was I in pain, but one of my 'boys' was going bye-bye! Of course, this was devastating to my wife, Wendy, but like the strong woman of God she is, she took it and prayed.
We also learned that it would be nearly impossible to have children for 2 - 7 years. This, of course, was also a shock to Wendy and I, so we kept praying for a miracle.
The surgery was a relatively short one...I think. Actually, I have no idea! I woke up a couple hours later, high as a kite and thankful that one pain had stopped (a 1" x 1 1/2" tumor down there can ruin your day - trust me) and the glass was 1/2 full, if you know what I mean.
I would start chemo the next day, so Wendy took me out to our favorite restaurant to give us one last hurrah before the chemo pain really set in. At this point I was outwardly okay, but inside I was more afraid then I had ever been before. Wendy wrapped some "pre-chemo" gifts for me, and I opened them after we ordered our appetizers. To tell you the truth, I was very under-impressed with the gifts...gum, mints...ummm are you trying to tell me something? The last gift was a small rectangular object that I opened thinking, "Oh great, more gum." My mouth opened with disbelief as I stared at the most beautiful thing a man could ever see. My wife had been keeping this to herself for a week because she wanted to get checked out by her doctor. She was pregnant! I was so excited I could not eat, so we left the restaurant and headed to spread the word. The fear drained out of my heart and was replaced with hope and faith. God had given me what I needed to fight this battle!
The first day of chemo (and for the next couple of months) I was hooked up to a bag of poison that was intended to kill the cancer but almost killed me. I went from a hairy, tan 195 pounder to a sick, bald 140 pounder. Towards the end of the treatment, I could not walk more than a couple of steps before passing out. My beautiful 5'2" pregnant wife carried me to the bathroom and took care of me as only an angel could.
I was supposed to have another surgery (it was scheduled, and I was mentally prepared) that reminded me of some of the medieval tortures I had seen on movies like Braveheart. You see, the cancer had spread into my lymph nodes and would be at risk for future growth if I did not get this surgery. After LOTS of praying by my family, friends and church, another miracle happened. The affected lymph nodes had shrunk to the point that they were no longer a concern to the Oncologist. Praise the Lord!
So after my last chemo treatment in October 2007, I got healthy and could now take better care of my wife who was by now EXTREMELY pregnant. Since then, it has been a struggle to get back to some semblance of stability, but our daughter, Delaney Jenna Flaherty, was born on April 1, 2008. She is a miracle, and so is the fact that I am still alive and healthy.
When you are going through a tough time, remember this - God's faithfulness is absolute. He loves us and knows what we need and when we need it. To those who prayed us through this trial, God will bless you.

Tyler Flaherty

1 comment:

Lorianne said...

I cry everytime I read this. And laugh, of course, at Tyler's "humor." But they are happy tears because Ty is healthy, Delaney is beautiful, and we have Wendy to thank for much of that!