Why Remember?

The reason behind this blog is for us to write down, for all to see, what the Lord has done for us. By recalling and testifying of His goodness and answered pray, we open up the way for more of His blessings.
Please comment and share your stories and testimonies in response to what you read.

Friday, January 16, 2009

The List

They met at Bible school in 1947. Dad was attending school on a GI bill from World War II where he had been a POW in a German prison camp. My mom was a pretty, vivacious young woman, who wanted to do something for God, and figured Bible school would be a good place to start (not to mention meet a handsome Godly man!)
Mom had seen my Dad's light blonde head across the campus and told her friend, "I'll probably marry that boy." Dad, equally attracted, fought off mom's other suitors (of which she had many), and claimed his place beside her at chapel and other school functions. They didn't date all year because, in those days at that school, you could only date on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons. As they both travelled in singing groups that used up their Wednesdays and Sundays, Dad had to wait for 6 months before asking Mom on a date. After that, it didn't take them long to fall in love. They married in August 1949 and moved into a small attic apartment. They're lives were full with school, weekend preaching and singing engagements. Dad also had a job laying sewer pipe to keep his now growing family fed, since Mom had quickly become pregnant with my sister Cheri (THAT activity, obviously, was not kept to only Wednesdays and Sundays!) They were happy, fulfilled, and broke.
Dad's payday was a ways off and he'd become a bit worried since my Mom was pregnant and, like Old Mother Hubbard, their cupboard was practically bare. So one morning, Mom made a list of the things they needed in anticipation of payday. That same day, a man from the church they attended came up to Mom and asked how she and Dad were making it. Being Mom, she wouldn't let him know that they were broke , she said "We are making it fine!" He said " What I mean is, can you use some home-canned beans and such that my wife put up?" My mom thankfully accepted his kind offer and hid her excitement over the possibility of having food other than the meager rations they were getting along with. That afternoon, the man knocked on their door and in his arms were bags of groceries. Not only his wife's canned goods, but EVERYTHING MOM HAD WRITTEN ON THE LIST! She had told neither him nor anyone else what she had written down plus they hadn't even prayed specifically for food. They trusted God to meet their needs, and without even asking He answered. Our God is Faithful!

Is. 65:24
I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking to me about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!

3 comments:

Lorianne said...

I remember that story! God is quite cool.

Anonymous said...

You have me crying on a Saturday morning! Great blog. I know you will fill it.

Sarah said...

I love that story!